All of the those times I was up late at the keyboard, struggling to find a line or even a single word while my wife and children were sleeping, I had no idea who would ever read what would become Mud and Dreams. The response has been very humbling. People I have never met come up and hug me in public. Strangers reach out and say “I needed this” or “It felt like you wrote this just for me.” If the book somehow makes a positive difference for someone, that is all I could have ever hoped for. There is a lovely review from Positive Psychology News here, and here are a few of the other things people are saying:
“Mud and Dreams beautifully combines the scientific and the poetic, the sacred and the mundane. John Sean Doyle takes the reader on a path deep inside oneself, and from there to the large and complex world that becomes a little more understandable, even appealing, as you turn the pages.”
– Tal Ben-Shahar, PhD, bestselling author of Happier and The Joy of Leadership.
John Sean Doyle is “returning us to the felt truths of the heart”
– George E. Vaillant, M.D., author of Aging Well & Triumphs of Experience.
“What a beautiful blend of science and poetry. It calls each of us to embrace the full spectrum of life – all of the good and the bad, all of the light and the dark – so we can become more grounded, self-aware and at home in the world. Along the way, John Sean Doyle offers us the keys to living fully.”
– Scott Barry Kaufman, Ph.D., author of Wired to Create and other works.
Mud and Dreams will “stimulate your bravery to live the life you’ve always known you could. Unlike most of my books, this one will not get left untouched and unappreciated on one of my dusty bookshelves.”
–Ryan M. Niemiec, Psy.D., bestselling author of The Power of Character Strengths and education director of the VIA Institute on Character.
“In Mud and Dreams,” John Sean Doyle inspires readers with a deep and meaningful observation of life, love, hope and the beauty of life. His words are poetic and heartfelt, insightful and thought-provoking.”
– Valorie Burton, bestselling author of It’s About Time: The art of choosing the meaningful over the urgent.
“An incredibly delightful, and heartfelt book that will help change the way you see the world. Sean’s poetic and poignant essays will remind you of all the beauty in our lives if only we look for it. Page by page Mud and Dreams is a testament about the importance of finding and feeding the goodness in ourselves and others to make the world a better place.”
– Suzie Pileggi Pawelski & James Pawelski, authors, HAPPY TOGETHER: Using the Science of Positive Psychology to Build Love that Lasts
“Mud and Dreams is extraordinary, priceless – the type of work that only comes along once in a generation. Like all masterpieces, it cuts straight to the heart, revealing the possibility – and the opportunity – for all of us of to experience a life that is rich and meaningful, in the midst of a world that often seems poor and meaningless.”
– Rob Mack, Celebrity Love Coach & author of Happiness from the Inside Out.
[This] “tidy book that is part memoir, part personal growth manual and impossible to read in public because it will make you cry like a small child.”
– Amber Nimocks, North Carolina Lawyer Magazine
Mud and Dreams is deeply relatable, poetic, and heartfelt. It helps us discover the power and beauty of our own lives, and reminds us how we affect how others see the world. It’s one of those books someone could keep coming back to as their life unfolds and they will forever glean more and more depth and nuance, adding a richness and wholeness to living.
– Michelle Gielan – author of Broadcasting Happiness: The Science of Igniting and Sustaining Positive Change, Executive Producer of “The Happiness Advantage” & a featured professor in Oprah’s Happiness course.
“You will quickly see why John Sean Doyle is the poetic voice of Positive Psychology”
– David J Pollay, bestselling author of The Law of the Garbage Truck®
My Best to You, Sean